Long-time member & Results Room friend, Sierra Ryland, has provided us with this amazing recipe!
This recipe, originally from a friend which I've modified to suit my taste, is something that I use in training periods, especially leading up to important races. It's also really convenient to put into individual servings and take to work for breakfast after early morning training. It can also be used as a snack or dessert.
Prep: 15mins| Cook time: 25mins
- 2.5cups mixed nuts (or a specific nut if you prefer)
- 6 prunes
- 1/2cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2cup flaxseed
- 1/4cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2cup coconut oil
- 1/2cup rice syrup (or honey)
- 1t vanilla essence (or 1 vanilla pod)
- 1/2cup coconut threads
- zest of 1 orange
- 6 dates, chopped
- 1/4cup cacao powder
- optional - coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees C.
- Put the nuts in a blender and mix until you have a medium crumb (save 1/2cup for chopping into the mixture at the end). Add the prunes and mix.
- Add the seeds, oils, vanilla, coconut threads, orange zest and cacao and mix in with the blender. I usually play around with the amount of oil - the more oil you add, the chewier the mixture will be once cooked. If you prefer a crumbly texture, add less.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the chopped dates and remaining nuts along with the optional coconut flakes.
- Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and press the mixture into the tray. Bake for 20-25 mins or until the mixture has a nice colouring. Don't let it burn!
- Break up into bite-sized piece and store in an airtight container.
- Serve 1/2cup of the muesli with fruit and natural yoghurt.