This recipe has been adapted from an original one that was full of butter and golden syrup. It's quick, easy, and full of real food. This recipe uses a little oil, honey and mashed dates instead of sugar, and is chock full of fruits, seeds and nuts. Any combination of fruit and nuts is fine: almonds and brazil nuts work well so go for what you like. You can also vary the spices - ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg all work well.
Prep: 20mins| Cook time: 30mins| Serves: 20 bars
- 1/2cup dates, roughly chopped
- 1T honey
- 1cup rolled oats
- 1/2cup shredded coconut
- 2t mixed spice
- 1t lemon juice - add zest too if you like
- 1t baking soda, dissolved in 1T water
- 1/2cup water
- 2T oil
- 1cup organic wholemeal flour
- 1/2cup sesame seeds
- 4cup mixed fruit & chopped nuts
- 1 egg
- 1 handful pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a slice tin with a small amount of butter or oil.
- Put dates in a saucepan with water. Simmer for around 10 minutes or until dates are soft.
- Once dates have softened, drain, mash with a fork, and return to saucepan. Stir in honey until melted and then add oil.
- Put oats, flour, coconut, spices and fruit and nuts into a large bowl. Add lemon juice, egg, baking soda and add in the date & honey mix.
- Mix everything until combined. The mix should be moist and crumbly.
- With wet hands, press the mix into the greased slice tin. Press pumpkin seeds into the top. Bake for about 30 mins or until golden brown.
- Cut into bars while still warm and remove from tin when cool. Will keep for 1-2 weeks in an airtight container.