by Jamie Oliver
This dish is good on it's own, as a base for soup or sauces, or as part of a warm salad. We call baby leeks spring onions, so get a bunch of them and a cheap balsamic vinegar as you'll be using plenty of it.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 12 plum tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- 12 fresh bay leaves
- 12 baby leeks, trimmed and washed
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 200ml balsamic vinegar
- 2T extra virgin olive oil
1. Score the tomato tops with a cross. Take a dish that the tomatoes will fit snugly into and sprinkle the garlic and basil over the bottom of it. Then stand tomatoes in the tray ontop of the garlic and basil. 2. Push the bay leaves into the scores on the tomatoes and season well. 3. Lay the leeks (spring onions onto a board and season generously. Using a rolling pin roll the leeks slightly to squish the seasoning in. 4. Weave the leeks in and around the tomatoes. Pour over the balsamic vinegar, then drizzle over the oil. 5. Bake in the 170 degree preheated oven for an hour. Remove the bay leaves before serving.