by Paleo Leap
Sweet potatoes aren't just good with cinnamon and nutmeg! They’re also delicious with a little bit of zing – in this case, from plenty of ginger and some optional curry paste. The ginger gives you a nice background tingle; the curry paste will add some sharper spice, but you can leave it out if you aren’t really into spicy food.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 large kumara, peeled and chopped
- 700g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1T red curry paste, optional
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1L chicken stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1T fish sauce
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- 1C roasted almonds, chopped; optional
- Coconut oil for frying
1. Add some cooking fat to a large saucepan placed over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. 2. Add the ginger, garlic, and curry paste to the saucepan, and cook for another 2 minutes. 3. Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and chicken stock. Bring everything to a boil; then cover and reduce to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender. 4. Puree the soup until smooth using an immersion blender or food processor. Stir in the coconut milk, the fish sauce, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with lime wedges and roasted almonds.