Gut health is something that is often taken for granted and effects all sorts of aspects of the human body such as digestion, mood, mental health, immunity and even maintaining a healthy weight. Here are 5 options to look at if you struggle with any of the above
1. Miso. This soup made from fermented soy is high in good bacteria. This can be brought at most organic shops or your closest international or Asian market.
2. Yogurt. This is probably the best-known healthy bacteria food of all. Look for low-sugar and lower-calorie yogurts that contain bifidus, lactobacillus and acidophilus.
3. This fermented cabbage mixture contains lactobacillus plantarum and has been shown to give your immunity system a big boost, along with helping with the digestion of lactose and reducing the growth of yeast.
4. Kombucha. This type of fermented tea definitely has a unique, fizzy taste to it. It is good for digestion, fighting candida (harmful yeast) overgrowth, mental clarity, and mood stability.
5. Kefir. Kefir is a fermented milk product that is a natural probiotic. Found nowadays in everything from ready-to-drink smoothies to ice creams, kefir is usually better tolerated by those with lactose-intolerance than other dairy-based fermented foods like yogurt etc.