- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled
- 6-8 long red chillies, roughly chopped
- 3 thumb-sized pieces (200g) fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 double kaffir lime leaves, deveined (optional)
- 2½ cups caster sugar
- ½ cup water
- finely grated zest of 4 limes
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 x Ripe Mangos
- 350g Chicken (or tofu to make Vegan)
- 150g of washed baby spinach
- ½ cup of 100% Canadian Maple Syrup
- 1 x Tbl Spoons of homemade Chilli jam
- 2 x Tbl Spoons of rice bran oil
- Micro Coriander to garnish
Method - Chilli Jam
Purée the garlic, chillies, ginger and kaffir lime leaves, if using, to a coarse paste.
Place in a saucepan with the sugar, water, lime zest, rice vinegar, fish sauce and soy sauce.
Stir over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves, then boil for about 10 minutes until reduced by a third.
It will bubble up like jam.
Spoon the hot chilli jam into the warm sterilized jar until it is filled to within 3mm of the top.
Seal with the screw lid.
Once opened, store Chilli Jam in the fridge.
Method - Seared Chicken
Cut Chicken (or tofu) into equal cubes, peel and slice Mango in too long strips about a centimeter thick.
Sear Tofu in oil, add Mango and fry on a high heat for five minutes to caramelize both.
Add spinach, mix Chili jam with maple Syrup and add to pan and stir for 2 minutes.
Once ready serve with micro coriander as a garnish.